Yields: 1 Serving Difficulty: Medium
Recipe by Daniel Lambert
- Cook your macaroni in salted boiling water for 5 mins untill it’s cooked but still firm. After the pasta is strained add a tbsp of oil to stop in from sticking.
- For the cheese the sauce, melt 30g of butter in a large sauce pan, then add 30g of flour and mix until a stiff paste texture is achieved, this is called a roux and is used as a thickener for any sauce you want go make. Add in your 1300ml of warm milk and whisk on a medium heat until the sauce thickens, if the sauce is too thick simply add more milk. Add in your veg stock , salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg and all your cheeses you want to use and simmer for 3 mins.
- Mix the cheese sauce with your macaroni and spread out on an oven dish or small lasagne tray. Top it with a cheese or your choice and save for later.
- For the smoked bacon crust, fry off your bacon in a frying pan on a medium to high heat. Once the bacon is nice and crispy take in off the heat and let it cook for 10 minutes. After the bacon has cooled, chop it up finely and spread it over the macaroni and cheese.
- To finish, grill the pasta dish for 6 minutes or untill the cheese and bacon start to caramelise. Sit back and enjoy !
- Quick tip: To get your bacon extra crispy use a sheet of tin foil on top of the meat in the pan and place a weighted dish on top of it.