Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 40 Mins Total Time: 50 Mins
Recipe by Brian Mc Dermott, The Foyle Hotel
Based on just five ingredients, this delicious soda bread is fantastic in the morning for breakfast!
Serve warm from the oven with real Irish butter and a good strong cup of Irish Tea
- Preheat the oven to 190*C / 375*F / Gas Mark 5.
- Lightly Grease a baking tray.
- Fry the bacon on a dry, hot pan.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the grated cheese and bacon.
- Melt the butter and add to the buttermilk. Pour into the flour mix and form a dough by gently mixing. Turn out onto a floured surface and gently shape into a round.
- Cut a cross on top of the bread and transfer it to the greased baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serve with real Irish butter.
- Brian’s Tip : Store in an airtight container. For a warm breakfast option, toast a slice and serve with poached eggs.